Friday, April 28, 2017

Featured Photographer: Martin Romeis






"Photography came into my life at an early age. 
At thirteen I received my first camera as a gift from my parents 
and it quickly became clear that it would accompany me for a lifetime."





"The first crucial experience I had was a Paul Strand retrospective I had seen in my mid-twenties, 
that caused me to refocus on documentary work with artistic requirements. "




"I am neither interested in any idealized or artificial representations, 
and this best helps me remain faithful to myself as an artist."




"I am shooting an extensive portrait series on women in their urban environments or private habitats. 
This is a very sensitive and complex project that illuminates various subjects
 like identity, intimacy, social conditions and lifestyle."




"My focus is strongly on the nature and individuality of the person. 
The representation of nudity and body consciousness responds 
to the relaxed handling of outdated and absurd ideas of morality. 
When shooting I do not arrange so much as allowing my protagonists to be themselves." 





"It took me many years to find myself (artistically),
but today I can describe my approach as simple, clear, and honest with a prize of melancholic poetry. 
I would like to have a highly realistic and true expression in my images."









(Interview by Carli Vogel)

No comments:

Post a Comment